Ph: 1800 350 350

Causes of electrical fire & how to keep your home safe

elec fire home 1

Electrical fires causes damage to a lot of properties every year in Australia, and as well claim dozens of lives.
However, you can take measures to avoid fire outbreak in your home and make certain the safety of your family and loved ones.

Some electrical fires take place due to problems in house wiring or equipment failure, however many occur due to overloading electric retailers or extension cords.

 

1. Defective Home Equipment

Most electric fires are caused by faulty electrical outlets and outdated appliances. Different fires started via faults in appliance cords, receptacles and switches. Never use equipment with a worn or frayed twine that can send heat onto combustible surfaces like flooring, curtains, and rugs that may begin a hearth.
Running cords beneath rugs is one of the causes of electrical fires. Casting off the grounding plug from a cord so it may be utilized in a two-prong electrical outlet also can cause fire. The motive appliances have the extra prong so they can be handiest used in outlets that can cope with the greater quantity of electricity that these appliances draw.

2. Extension cords

Misuse of extension cords is another cause of electrical fire. Appliances should be plugged directly into outlets and not plugged into extension cord for a very long time. An extension cord should only be used temporarily. In case you do not have the right kind of extension cord for your appliances, get an electrician to put in additional outlets for you.

3. Light fixtures

Light fixtures and light bulbs are another not unusual reason for electrical fires. Putting in a bulb with wattage that is too excessive for the lamps and light fixtures is a leading reason of electrical fires. Always take a look at the most recommended bulb wattage on any lighting fixtures or lamp and in no way go over the encouraged quantity.
Another cause of fire is placing materials like fabric, paper or a flammable object over a lampshade. The material heats up and ignites, causing a fireplace. Faulty lamps and light fixture also often bring about fires.

 

4. Heaters

Due to the fact those types of heaters are transportable, typically human beings positioned them too close to flammable surfaces such as curtains, beds, garb, chairs, couches and rugs. Coil area heaters are specifically dangerous on this regard because the coils emerge as so warm they will almost right away ignite any nearby flammable surface.

In case you do use portable heaters, use the radiator-type that diffuse warmth over the surface of the equipment. These are less likely to ignite flammable items; however it should nonetheless be kept away from them.

 

5. Wiring

Old and outdated wiring often causes electric fires. If a house is over 20 years old, it could not have the wiring potential to deal with the accelerated amounts of electrical appliances in these days, such as computers, Plasma/Led televisions, video players, microwaves and air conditioners.
Breakers must be triggered whenever circuits get overloaded through an excessive amount of energy, but outdated breakers often have worn connectors that do work, causing the system to overload and begin an electrical fire.

 

Tips on how to avoid electrical fires:

Check for:

  • Missing, broken or loose wall plates

    • Replace them or get new ones

  • Power outlets

    • Check for loose-fitting outlets

    • If you have children, get outlet covers

  • Plugs

    • never force them into outlet

    • avoid overloading with adapters

    • Check for loose-fitting plugs

  • Frayed or cracked cords

    • Do not staple or nail them

    • Do not place under carpets, rugs or placed in high traffic areas.

  • Extension cords

    • only use on temporary basis

    • Make sure they have safety closures

    • Get one with surge protection

  • Light bulbs

    • Make sure the wattage match the fixture requirements - if needed replace them

    • Make sure they are screwed in securely

  • Wiring

    • Make sure there are no loose wires

 

Some safety hints:

  • Use surge protection for your appliances

  • Have circuit breakers and fuses

  • Increase you capacity of your electrical service or add new branch circuits

Recent Posts